Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I Can't-Believe-It's-Not-Crab Crab Cakes

I don't know how I came across this recipe, but know I found it on the Internet - however, can't relocate it now to provide the recipe source. What I do know is this is the closest thing to eating crab cakes without actually eating crab, which I really appreciate seeing as how I'm allergic to shellfish. I'm sure there's lots of vegetarians/vegans who will appreciate this recipe too. Or even those people trying to find ways to use up all the zucchini in their vegetable garden. I believe the real trick to this recipe is the use of Old Bay seasoning, which is a quintessential crab cake ingredient so helps to trick you into thinking you're eating the real thing.

I Can't-Believe-It's-Not-Crab Crab Cakes
2 cups coarsely grated zucchini
salt
1 cup bread crumbs
1 egg, beaten
1-1/2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon plain yoghurt
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
Oil for frying (I like to use sunflower oil)

Place grated zucchini in a colander; sprinkle lightly with salt. Let zucchini sit for about 30 minutes, allowing it to drain. Squeeze to remove additional liquid -- zucchini should be fairly dry.

Place zucchini and bread crumbs in a large bowl and mix together. Place egg, Old Bay seasoning, Dijon mustard, yoghurt, lemon juice and parsley in a small bowl. Mix well.

Pour egg mixture into zucchini-bread crumb mixture, and mix gently and thoroughly. Form into 8 patties the size of crab cakes.

Heat a small amount of oil in a saute pan, and cook patties on both sides, browning well.

Serve with tartar sauce (mix together some mayonnaise, capers, lime juice, salt and pepper).

1 comment:

  1. Old Bay Seasoning - What an inspiration! I've been making zucchini fritters with green & yellow zooks from the garden and would never have thought of using OBS. I'll be making this very soon.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete