Monday, September 6, 2010

Clean Food

For those of you who don't like tempeh, this recipe will make a convert of you. I've made a lot of recips from Clean Food by Terry Walters, but I think this is one of my favourites.

Spicy Thai Tempeh with Cashews
(recipe from Clean Food cookbook)
8-ounce package tempeh
1 talespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 red onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 cup toasted cashews, chopped
1 tablespoon red chili paste
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 teaspoons tamari
1/3 cup water
4 scallions, finely chopped

Cut tempeh into large chunks and steam 8 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside until cool enough to handle.

In large cast-iron skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat, saute onion in olive oil 10 minutes or until caramelized. Crumble chunks of tempeh directly into skillet. Add red pepper and cashews and saute 5 minutes.

In small bowl, whisk together chili paste, syrup, tamari, and water. Pour over tempeh, and saute another minute to combine flavours. Remove from heat, top with chopped scallions and serve.

My Notes: The recipe calls for a roasted red bell pepper, which I typically do in the oven - however, as my oven is off-limits this summer I chose to slightly steam the red pepper and then chop and add to the skillet. The red chili paste I use is Sambal Oelek.

I served this dish over brown rice and steamed some yellow/wax beans to serve on the side. I dressed the steamed beans with a drizzle of toasted sesame oil and a splash of tamari.

No comments:

Post a Comment