Saturday, September 4, 2010

Tapenade Bistro

My mum and dad treated us to dinner out at the nearby Tapenade restaurant in Steveston. Michael and I have only been once before a number of years ago and that was for brunch. I have a friend who goes almost weekly in the summer as they allow you to have your dog(s) with you if you’re seated on the patio. We dined inside so were dogless.

I enjoyed the Beet Salad ($10) to start - marinated beets, chickpea puree, chévre, horseradish cream, and beet vinaigrette. However, I thought it could have done with a sprinkling of salt to help bring all the flavours together. My main course was the Fraser Valley Duck Breast ($26), which was oven roasted and served with spaetzle, eggplant caponata, tomato confiture, and tawny Port demi glace. The flavours of the spaetzle and eggplant were blended as though they were kept together in a bowl and just dished out at service. Again, I thought the dish was underseasoned and required salt (perhaps I’ve watched one too many episodes of Top Chef!). For dessert, I went with the Callebaut Chocolate Pudding ($7.50) except it wasn’t a pudding at all. It was a broken up chocolate brownie with crème chantilly and vanilla crème anglaise. It took several mouthfuls before I could even begin to taste the chocolate and by then the dish was done. Michael and my parents did better with the bread and butter pudding and lemon tart respectively. Our service was good and the atmosphere inviting and cordial. I’ll give the experience 6 out of 10. For the menu prices I expected more from the food.

No comments:

Post a Comment