Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Use Your (Soba) Noodle

I’m sure you’re tired of me going on about how I enjoy noodles. Well here’s another favourite that’s been kicking around my recipe collection for 10 years. From a 2000 edition of Cooking Light magazine, I bring you Soba with Sesame and Tofu. Quick to prepare as it’s all raw. I’ve reprinted the recipe in its entirety; however, I do not use sugar where it’s called for; instead I substitute either agave or honey (your choice).

Soba with Sesame and Tofu
(recipe from Cooking Light magazine issue August 2000)
1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
1 teaspoon sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon chili oil or vegetable oil
1-1/2 tablespoons sesame seeds
4 cups cooked soba (about 8 ounces uncooked buckwheat noodles)
2 cups sliced peeled cucumber
1 cup thinly sliced green onions
2 cups cubed firm tofu (about 12 ounces)

Combine first 6 ingredients in a small bowl; set aside.
Cook the sesame seeds in a small saucepan over medium heat 1 minute or until toasted.
Combine the sesame seeds, noodles, cucumber, and onions in a large bowl; toss mixture gently.
Divide noodle mixture evenly among 4 bowls; top with tofu and sauce.


No comments:

Post a Comment