Monday, July 5, 2010

Food Assembly


I was absolultey desperate to have an ex-coworker over for a visit and needed to figure out the best to way to this. We laugh that she only lives about 5 minutes away yet we never just bump into each other. She lives a very busy life and typically weekends aren't the best time for her to get together...so what's left? I decided to make a bold move and invite her over on a Monday night after work. My next dilemma becomes, "what's for dinner?". We're both foodies so it becomes quite a challenge. Then a thought struck me. It will be so nice to finally have a visit the food will be enjoyable no matter how much I knock myself out. So for that reason I decided to go really easy on myself and purchase what I needed so I could just assemble the food.

So for dinner tonight we had more of a tapas/meze style evening and had a selection of items all purchased from Whole Foods (up the street from my office) and Papi's Deli in Steveston. I put out large plates consisting of marinated artichokes, marinated sweet peppers, green olives stuffed with goat cheese and sundried tomatoes, triple cream brie, applewood smoked cheddar, onion crackers, hummous, pita chips, raw almonds & dried apricots, peppered salami, cucumber rounds, and the one item I did pull together: prosciutto with a quick sprinkle of kosher salt and freshly milled black pepper, wrapped around a basil leaf, bocconcini cheese and a grape tomato with a little drizzle of olive oil overtop. I also put out a loaf of thinly sliced baguette. My girlfriend brought over a lovely bottle of chardonnay that she bottles herself, but I asked her to try a pinot gris I just discovered from Hungary. Perhaps a bit sweeter that what she prefers, but she's so gracious she managed a glass or two. We had a lovely time together catching up and realized than when we put our minds to it, it is easy to find time to get together. Entertaining can also be easy, especially when good friends are involved.
(The photo pictured is one that she took upon arrival just as I put the food out).

1 comment:

  1. What wonderful presentation!! Looks leisurely and sumptuous! Great way to spend with friends.

    ReplyDelete