Monday, July 26, 2010

Sandra's Kitchen Nightmares

Move over Gordon Ramsay, it should read, "Sandra's Kitchen Nightmares". It isn't often that I have a complete disaster in the kitchen, but it happened tonight. There was leftover risotto in the back of the fridge and I thought it would be a lovely treat to coat them in panko bread crumbs and fry them in a little olive oil. WRONG. I guess the water content was too high in the risotto (they had cherry tomatoes in them) and they didn't hold together well and then almost completely disintegrated when I flipped them to brown the other side. I fished them out of the saute pan and threw paper towels over them to absorb as much excess oil as possible, but my Risotto Cakes looked more like Risotto Splats. Thank goodness there was leftover salmon in the fridge to have for dinner. As an accompaniment: green salad with the house dressing from Fresh restaurant from their cookbook Refresh. Here's the dressing recipe for you - and I promise you won't be able to taste the flax seed oil (see my blog dated July 12 re the Maple Balsamic Dressing and the utmost importance I place on not being able to discern the taste of flax seed oil). As you can see by the measurements it makes quite a bit of dressing, but it keeps well in the fridge (for about 5 days) so I'm sure you'll go through it.

House Dressing from Fresh Restaurant
(with some modifications)
3/4 cup olive oil (sunflower oil is good here too)
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup flax seed oil
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon tamari
1/4 teaspoon raw sugar (I use sucanat, but feel free to use honey, agave nectar or other natural sweetener).
1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
1 teaspoon unrefined sea salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Put all ingredients into a blender cup or jam jar and blitz with your immersion/stick blender.

No comments:

Post a Comment