Tuesday, August 10, 2010

"Bean" there, done that

Well, it's Tuesday night, which is a designated running night for me - now that I'm back to running after recovering from a broken toe - so this meal has to come together fast. Almost as fast as I wish I could run! This is when it pays off to have beans cooked, portioned out, and waiting for you in the freezer. Of course, you can always go the canned route. In which case it pays off to have a well-stocked pantry.
Tonight's dish hails from an old issue of Real Simple magazine (October 2006). I'm the kind of cook who likes trying new recipes so don't have many recipes that are entrenched in my repertoire. But this one's an exception. The recipe calls for cannellini beans, but I prefer pinto beans as they impart some sort of smokiness that makes me feel this stew has been simmering for hours even though it only takes 15 minutes. As far as the recipe's optional ingredients of either balsamic vinegar or parmesan, I use both, always. Why let an opportunity pass you by when you can make something good taste even better!
Cannellini Bean Stew
2 15-ounce cans cannellini or other white beans, drained
1 14.5-ounce can low-sodium chicken broth
2 cloves garlic, smashed
1 bay leaf
6 carrots, halved lengthwise and cut into 3-inch pieces
3 cups fresh spinach leaves
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (optional)
1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated Parmesan (optional)

In a Dutch oven, over medium heat, bring the beans, broth, garlic, bay leaf, and carrots to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove and discard the bay leaf.

Add the spinach, salt, and pepper and stir for 1 minute. Spoon the stew into bowls. Drizzle with the oil. If desired, add either some vinegar or Parmesan.
My note: If you are using your own cooked beans and not those from a can, use 3 cups of cooked beans for this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment