Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Family Favourite (since 2001)

I came across this recipe in a Chatelaine magazine one fine day in 2001 when I was waiting patiently for my Tai Chi class to begin. Most times when I read a recipe, I can already taste it and know how it's going to turn out. This one I knew I had to make because it tasted so good in my head. The problem was I didn't have a pen and paper to jot it down and knew I'd never remember it. It's the first (and only time) I took a magazine from a waiting room. The recipe turned out every bit as good as I had imagined and we made it almost weekly for about the first year. Now I pull it out now and again and we always wax on about how great it still is. Who said crime doesn't pay?
Chicken, Avocado and Coriander Pasta Sauce
(recipe from Chatelaine magazine September 2001)

Makes enough to coat 1/2 pound pasta

2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, about 1/2 lb or 3 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
1 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 plum tomatoes
1 ripe but firm avocado
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
pinch of cayenne pepper
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice
1/4 cup finely chopped coriander
Slice chicken into thin bite-size strips. Heat oil in a large wide frying pan set over medium heat. Add chicken and garlic and stir occasionally until lightly browned and nearly cooked through, from 3 to 4 minutes.
Meanwhile, chop tomatoes into 1-inch (2.5-cm) chunks. Peel avocado and cut into bite-size pieces.
When chicken is nearly cooked, add tomatoes to pan, along with seeds and juice. Sprinkle with cumin, salt and cayenne. Stir often over medium heat until tomatoes are hot, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and immediately stir in avocado, lemon juice and coriander, just until blended. Toss with cooked penne or orecchiette. Taste and stir in more lemon or lime juice if you would like more tang. Enjoy sauce as soon as it is made as avocado will darken.
My notes: For this recipe I always use penne and always use lime (not lemon).

No comments:

Post a Comment