Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Pasta Maker

I LOVE pasta. Of course the best part about the pasta is the sauce! Over the weekend I made a quadruple batch of pasta sauce in order to have it in the freezer and at the ready for a quick meal. I like to freeze the pasta in 2 cup increments because it seems to be the right amount to amply sauce 1/2 a pound of pasta for 2 servings. Also, I like to freeze the sauce in Ziploc bags. When I ladle the 2 cups into the bag, I squeeze out the air and lie it flat so it's about 1/8-inch thick so it takes no time at all to defrost - for those times when I forget to leave it out. Or it can melt right out of the bag into a saute pan. Plus it takes up far less space in the freezer.

Marinara Sauce
1 tablespoon olive oil
1-1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
2-28 oz. cans whole tomatoes
3 tablespoons tomato paste
3/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsely
1 teaspoon sugar (if needed)


Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Use a potato masher to break up tomatoes. Reduce heat, simmer 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in basil and parsley, and cook 1 minute. Taste and add sugar, if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment